Saturday, September 11, 2010

Kids Off To School


I took this picture of the kids heading off to the bus on the first day of school.  We’ve been driving them to school since Cal was going to kindergarten, so it was a big change. Now that Cal wants to take the bus so does his younger sister.  Once they'd left for school I went inside and looked at the NYT’s on line.  The Times was asking for back to school photos for their website, so I downloaded this snap and sent it in.  

I sent them it in with a caption something like ‘the kids decide to take the bus after five years of us driving them each morning. Off they go, in more ways than one.’

I did not know the paper had posted the photo and the caption until I received an e-mail from a reader of the Times.  From Hong Kong.  It was a sweet note thanking us for a beautiful image and sentiment.  It struck me and made me incredibly happy that a simple, joyful image of kids growing up touched a couple so far away.

David Rocchio lives, works and writes in Stowe, Vermont. (c) 2010 David Rocchio

No comments:

Post a Comment